From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 09:09:31 -0600
> If I remember correctly, you've got a lean body mass of 180 lbs. and 18
> percent body fat, which I interpret as you weigh 220 lbs. and would like
> weigh 200 lbs.  I really don't think that most people would consider 20
> pounds overweight as "fat."

The medical definition of obesity is being 20 lbs. or more over your best
weight.
18% body fat is lower than the recommended percentage for men (20%-25%).
However it is well above the range for the average range of body fat found
in traditional hunter-gatherers (5%-10%). I doubt most doctors would
consider Todd to be significantly overweight.

Todd, if you want to lose more body fat, and I'm convinced that you can, you
must consider changing your diet and exercise regimen to give yourself a
jumpstart to fat loss. One weight-training session per week (if it is very
intense) is adequate for maintaining mass and tone. It is apparently not,
however, adequate for losing body fat in your case. You need to lift
intensely at least 2X per week and increase the pace (not the amount of
time) of his aerobic workouts. You should also consider limiting carb intake
to 20-30gm per day. Try it for a few weeks and see what happens. You might
be pleasantly surprised. If not, I'll shut up.

Troy G.