From:
JoAnn Betten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 13:18:16 -0400
i saw this, and recognized some of the signs in myself, see if you do too:

a book Eating for Perfection (working title), by David
Michael Knight CHT and Steven Bratman MD. In this book David and Steven will
illustrate Orthorexia Nervosa, an eating disorder which until now has
not been described.  Many of the most unbalanced people I have ever met
are those have devoted themselves to healthy eating.  In fact, I believe
many of them have contracted a novel eating disorder, for which I have
coined the name
"orthorexia nervosa."  The term uses "ortho," in its meaning as straight,
correct and
true, to modify "anorexia nervosa."  Orthorexia nervosa refers to a fixation on
eating proper food.

Orthorexia begins innocently enough, as a desire
to overcome chronic illness or to improve general
health.  But because it
requires considerable willpower to adopt a diet
which differs radically from the food habits of
childhood and the surrounding
culture, few accomplish the change gracefully.
Most must resort to an iron self-discipline
bolstered by a hefty sense of
superiority over those who eat junk food.  Over
time, what they eat, how much, and the
consequences of dietary indiscretion
come to occupy a greater and greater proportion of
the orthorexic's day.

Orthorexia eventually reaches a point where the
sufferer spends most of his time planning,
purchasing and eating meals.  The
orthorexic's inner life becomes dominated by
efforts to resist temptation, self-condemnation
for lapses, self-praise for success at
complying with the self-chosen regime, and
feelings of superiority over others less pure in
their dietary habits.