From:
"M.E. C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 17:33:56 EST
In a message dated 12/31/2001 3:14:37 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I am going to try to find a copy of Cordain's book this weekend.  I am
> surprised he cautions against canned fish.  I have read a lengthy essay by
> him on "syndrome x" in which he states that sardines are an excellent food.
> I know it's possible to buy fresh sardines, but I did not get the impression
> he was limiting his comments to only fresh sardines and not the canned
> variety.

page 122/123...Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain
Should You Eat Canned Fish?

He mainly talks about canned tuna...but then says  "If you have the
choice,always choose fresh or frozen fish over canned fish."

my comment:
Maybe sardines are processed differently,but I would think the same heating
process takes place with any canned fish. I don't know for sure. Maybe
someone else here knows. I know there was in inconclusive discussion in the
past about canned salmon and if it retained much of it's value after canning.
The stuff Cordain says about canned tuna is kind of scary.