From:
Mark Labbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 21:02:16 -0500
C'mon Charles. You should know that anything occuring in the past 5000 years
is largely irrelevant in the evolutionary scheme of things. Archeological
evidence seems to indicate homo errectus started using fire somewhere
between 500,000 and 1,000,000 years ago but it is doubtful that it was used
to cook meat regularly. The evidence seems to indicate that during the
crucial evolutionary time from 2.5 million years ago to about 200,000 years
ago most meat was eaten raw. How do you explain how much better many on this
list feel when eating raw meat instead of cooked?

Mark

I think raw meat is a red herring (sorry)!  Paleo people well knew how to
make fire, and they certainly did roast and boil their meat. The native
Californians most certainly did, for 5,000 years right here in California.
What they also did was to smoke dry the meat to make jerky. This is a highly
nutritious form of meat, which lasts a long time and is easily portable (who
needs refrigeration)? I highly recommend this, if you can get it in UK.
(watch out for sugared flavorings).

Sorry I went on so long, but this is fun. I hope I've addressed some of your
questions!

Charles