From:
Julie Jarvis RPA-C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:07:06 -0600
> A side note re the blood work;  my cpk (creatine kinase was 955 which
> is several times normal;  this is a muscle enzyme and fractions of it can
> be skeletal, brain or cardiac specific;  i.e.,  the cardiac fraction lifts
> after an MI and the skeletal fraction after a muscle injury or surgery.
> Strange auto immune diseases can also raise it although I had no symptoms.
> Heavy exercise can raise although,  in the days prior,  I had done some
> light weightlifting,  played an evening of tennis and went skiing for a
> couple of hours for the first time this season.  Does anyone know if
> excercise alone  could have caused such a rise?

Yes, the exercise alone can sure cause rises in CPK like that.  Did they
check the CK-MB (the cardiac portion?)  I would think that the skiing
caused it-- you were probably using muscles you never knew you had!!
I'll bet that it will be down when they recheck it.  Hemolysis can also
cause it, but the lab should have reported the sample as hemolyzed.
Also, on your triglycerides-- triglycerides should normally be a little
higher  right after eating.  I would guess they will be much lower if
you repeat the test after fasting.  Please let us know your new results.

Julie Jarvis
Physician Assistant