From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 07:09:14 -0400
On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Adrienne Smith wrote:

> Very interesting.  I wonder why one couldn't just supplement with high
> amounts of alpha lipoic acid and receive the same increased weight loss
> benefits on a meat and greens paleo regime.

In fact, the conversion of pyruvate to ATP requires the
catalyzing activity of three substances, thiamin, niacin, and
alpha lipoic acid, so I suppose you'd want to boost all of them.
I have no idea if it would work.

> Todd, does anchell mention
> anything about supplements slowing one's fat loss progress??

No.  He thinks supplements are unnecessary (There is a chapter on
this topic) if the right foods are eaten.  He does say this: "If
one is obstinate about the 'need' for additional vitamins, or if
one refuses to eat the correct, vitamin-containing foods, a
supplemental vitamin capsule containing simply 5,000 units of
vitamin A, 600 units of vitamin D, 2 mg of thiamine, 50 mg of
niacin, 2 mg of riboflavin, and 50 mg of ascorbic acid may be
prescribed."  He does warn, however, that some vitamin
preparations contain sugar (perhaps in the coating of the
tablet), which will slow fat loss.

> Anyway, I had
> been on a meat and greens (no fruit) version for about a month and lost 12
> pounds  -- then stalled about 15 pounds from my goal.

Yes, this appears to be *very* common, judging by the mail I have
been getting recently.

> As an experiment, I
> too, will try anchell's method and report my progress to the list.  Today
> is day 2 (boy it feels weird to eat sweet potatos and regular potatos!).

Doesn't it?  Let us know what, if anything, happens.

Incidentally, I have no additional weight loss to report this
week, so far.

Todd Moody