From:
Catsfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 11:01:23 -0600
Ilya Wrote:

>DISCLAIMER: LICORICE ROOT IS A POTENT HERBAL PREPARATION. RESEARCH THIS
>YOURSELF BEFORE TAKING IT. THIS IS NOT AN ADVICE, I AM NOT A DOCTOR, DO
>THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Here is a description of what Licorice Roots is and used for.

Chemical and Nutrient Content:  Asparagine, biotin, choline, fat, folic acid,
glycyrrhizin, gum, inositol, lcithin, manganese, pantothenic acid,
para-aminobenzoic acid, pentacyclic terpenes, phosphorus, protein, sugar, yellow
dye, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 and E.

Actions and Uses:  Cleanses the colon, decreases muscular spasms, increases
fluidity of mucus in the lungs and bronchial tubes, and promotes adrenal gland
function.  Has estrogen-and progesterone-like effects; may change the pitch of
the voice.  Also stimulates the production of interferon.  Beneficial for
allergic disorders, asthma, chronic fatigue, depression, emphysema, fever,
herpesvirus infection, hypoglycemia and inflammatory bowel disorders.
Deglycyrrhizinated licorice may stimulate natural defense mechanisms that
prevent the occurrence of ulcers by increasing the amount of mucus-secreting
cells in the digestive tract.  This improves the quality of mucus, lengthens
intestinal cell life, and enhances microcirculation in the gastrointestinal
lining.

Comments:  Licorice derivatives have been recommended as a standard support for
ulcer suffers in Europe.

CAUTION:  Should not be used during pregnancy or by persons with diabetes,
glaucoma, heart disease, high blood pressure and severe menstrual problems or a
history of strokes.  Also, should not be used on a daily basis for more than
seven days in a row, as this can result in high blood pressure in persons with
previous normal blood pressure.