From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:43:53 -0700
On Sunday, Sep 5, 2004, at 17:32 US/Pacific, Sharon Giles wrote:

> Not All Sugars Are Equal, at Least When it Comes to Weight Gain and
> Health
>
> PHILADELPHIA, PA -- June 4, 2004 -- Researchers at the Monell Chemical
> Senses Center, the University of California, Davis and other
> collaborating
> colleagues report that drinking beverages containing fructose, a
> naturally-occurring sugar commonly used to sweeten soft drinks and
> other
> beverages, induces a pattern of hormonal responses that may favor the
> development of obesity.

Interesting! My first thought is that perhaps this is related to one of
those seasonal phenomena, where fruit is only highly available in late
summer and fall, exactly when we want to store fat and increase
cholesterol - which acts, as I understand it, as a sort of
"anti-freeze" for the blood - as preparation for the coming winter. So
this would be just the response one would expect. Another reason,
maybe, for us to knock off eating fruit daily...

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!