From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 03:37:07 -0400
On Tue, 2 May 2000 14:12:02 -0500, Valerie Goldstein <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I went to Amazon.com ... Has anyone read the 2 star review?

I just read the 2 star review.
That guy is right and i think therefore has the right to be disappointed
BUT i think that he doesn't hit the nail.

Such statements, that fat would be converted to glucose are "rather"
wrong because a very small fraction (glycerol) is fed to gluconeogenesis
which generates a little glucose.
Basically wrong, disputable as tolerable ok, but in effect right.
In Ray's diet glucose may more come from degraded protein protein
if the reader attempts ketosis. Ketosis may be fine for weight loss but
whenever was it paleolithic?

The reviewer complains further about the fat eating recommendation.
Well eating much fat isn't very paleolithic. If you read Loren Cordaine's
work, you see that wild game is low in fat.
I'd like to add: in worm-times and in non-acrctic environments, which are
probably our real, many generation lasting evolution times in
the paleolithicum not much fat is found
( few walrus in the african savannah, heh ).

That caveman picture of neanderthin only provides
a handy picture and vision just like
a dinosaur hunting neanderthal - which never happened - or happened
in very small unimportant timeframes.

But the picture may be wrong or right - in my opinion Ray's book
provides a handy vision for a different and true, right goal.
Displace the disastrous modern carbohydrates through fats (paleo or not).
And the rest of the Ray's statement is right. It *does* help
against glucose level jumps, and it *does* provide energy.
It even replaces glucose and thus helps preserving brain glucose.
In addition Ray's vision works anti-allergic by avoiding main allergens
- many from food toxins.

What i like most is, that the paleo-vision helps to lead away
from all that modern processed foodstuff.
And helps against refined carbohydrates - a main modern problem (IMO).
Thats a good direction.

Like D'Adamo with his (IMO) ridicilous 0=hunter, A=not picture,
a "wrong" vision may provide a very positive result.

I may include a own critic: What i dislike is, that the modern
meat production is left without critic as a paleo-realm.
And too few information is available about paleo time plants.

regards

Amadeus S