From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:07:46 -0600
> Nonetheless, adaptation to the Neolithic style of eating is vital to the
> continued ability of homo sapiens to thrive. We cannot feed the
> population and maintain our infrastructure on a mostly Paleolithic diet.
> Thus, in a very real sense, the Neolithic diet is the "diet of the
> future" and the Paleolithic Diet is a throwback.

Good points. But nowadays, isn't the real issue two-fold? That is, an
over-reliance on grains coupled with over-processing of food in general?
Grains make up 70-90% of some people's diets, primarily based on guv'ment
recommendations. Grains, for many people, are not the problem -- the
replacement of better foods by those grains is what is really harming them.

Early neolithic diets were apparently healthy, at least according to the
Weston Price group. Those diets were really more of a hybrid of a the paleo
diet and what we now think of as the neolithic diet. Many of those groups
"settled", but did not give up hunting and gathering entirely. Call them
paleo-gardeners if you will - a way of life that could be easily copied.

I know Keith does a lot of his own gardening, as do I. This year I
experimented with container gardening in large recycled whiskey barrels. It
worked wonderfully, and I intend to increase the number of barrels I will
use next year. One benefit I had not anticipated at all - I did not lose as
many plants after the first frost we had last week. I'm still not sure why
- it's something I need to research over the coming months. Another fairly
successful experiment - upside-down tomato plants. No staking, no training,
no bugs, easy harvest.

There was a great website where I got some of these ideas, but alas, I
notice it's no longer around. It was devoted to edible landscaping and
permaculture, and suggested a "zoning" approach to minimize the work
involved. In other words, a property is organized so that the most intense
gardening (i.e. - plants that take the most babysitting) takes place
closest to the house, working out the the least intensive toward the edge
of a property. Thus, in my case, the containers near the house, melons,
asparagus, fruit trees out toward the borders. Pretty hassle-free so far.