Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 18:23:05 -0400
They estimate that this
overuse of nitrogen in the last 30 years has
"destroyed much of the soil's fertility, the
scientists found, causing it to age the equivalent of
5,000 years."  They also site a U.S. Geological Survey
study that indicates that calcium levels are being
depeted by acid rain in 10 eastern states.
This may make it even more difficult for paleopersons
to get their proper nutrition.  Move over victory
gardens, make way for paleo patches!!
Jane
>Jane wrote: Move over victory gardens, make way for paleo patches!!

If you have a garden you can re-mineralize your garden soil by using rock
dust and also scrap seaweed.  There's a seaweed harvester in Maine, Larch
Hansen, who sells some seaweed for just this purpose.  He's a great guy with
a good heart and good seaweed.  (Don harvest seaweeds with him one
season--grueling work!)

Larch Hanson, Box 57 Steuben, ME  04680.  Tel.  207-546-2875.  He doesn't
use herbicides or pesticides on the drying beds for his seaweeds.  His boat
is a floating salad bowl--no toxic paints there either.

I can't recall the contact for the rock dust.  We saw a video many years ago
by John Hammacker (sp?) which showed the improvements in soil and the crops
after application of rock dust to the soil...the mineral content went way
up.  Larch might now who to contact for that....of if you know anyone who is
into macrobiotics.  (maybe the Kushi Institute, Beckett or Boston, Mass).

Rachel Matesz
goofing off until I get back to work tomorrow! :-))