From:
Paul Sand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 20:59:42 +0100
>From: Peter Smith <[log in to unmask]>

>Prior to reading Loren Cordain's book, I had understood the upper
>limit on protein to avoid protein toxicity to be an absolute one
>(as opposed to a percentage one) of about 200g per day. The book
>says that for most people it is in the range 200 to 300g per day.

>I am unsure whether the upper limit to avoid protein toxicity is
>absolute, percentage, or of some other type. If it is a limit on
>percentage of calories obtained from protein (as opposed to a fixed
>number of grams of protein per day), then someone who takes in
>sufficient calories to support a large muscular body and a
>strenuous life can eat a larger number of grams of protein per day
>than a slender sedentary person who takes in fewer calories.
>
>Could anyone shed any light on this please?
>
>P.Smith

I know many bodybuilders eating 300+ g of protein per day for a long time
without any acute symptoms. I personally eat more than 200 g a day.
I think it's more important as much fat and carbs you eat with protein
rather than amount of protein itself.
But it also differs from person to person.
Some authors claim than in a long term you cannot get more than 35-40% of
calories from protein but I don't think it's supported by any long term
studies.

Paul Sand