From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 08:50:22 -0600
Dori Zook wrote:

> >If not are there any "raising agents" that would be considered paleo?
> >
> >(I should be heading out to the Aussi desert in a few months, I just *have*
> >to work out how to make a paleo damper!)  :)
>
> That's a good question (although technically a recipe thing, so look out!)
> But I once tried to make gool ol' Southern drop biscuits with defatted
> almond flour.  The taste was to DIE for but they just crumbled apart.  I
> guess the lack of baking powder is what did it.  But it takes a whopping 1/4
> teaspoon or so which is next to nothing so my plan is to try a pinch and see
> if it works some day.

One big problem is the lack of gluten in any paleo alternative.  Gluten
(gluey substance) is what gives the chew in French bread and holds those
biscuits together.  I've made biscuits with amaranth flour, they're very
tasty but crumbly too.  Baking powder will make them light (look for a
brand without aluminum salts in it), but won't hold them together.
You could try egg for a binder of whatever flour you come up with.
Tapioca flour is also nice and gluey (but probably not paleo).  Gluten-free
bread recipes use a small amount in with other flours to help hold it together.

Semi-paleo trial: amaranth flour, egg, and  small amount of tapioca flour,
a little baking powder.  Won't taste the same.... but might be really good.

Good luck.....
    Lynnet