Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:26:59 +0900
Evelyn McWilliams wrote:

> "I think I am not the only person on this list to have had
> this experience, rising cholesterol on a low carb, high
> protein/fat diet."
>
> What was your reaction at the time? Did you take counter measures? I would have been frightened to continue with the Atkins approach.

I had all along gradually been moving from Atkins toward
Paleo. My uneducated guess was that it was all the cream I
was eating. That is still the major non-paleo item in my
diet now, so if that was it, it may not have changed.

I lost maybe 10 pounds total.

It was a surprise, but to tell the truth I don't worry much
about it. Cholesterol has its good and bad points. 250 is
high by one standard, but still below the level where excess
deaths begin to slope steeply up. Since cancer and some
other diseases may actually be reduced by higher
cholesterol, that is a risk I am certainly willing to take.
My heart health is, I believe, pretty good. I am lean, and
my blood pressure is 105/65, resting heart rate about 50.
Not much different from when I was a high school cross
country runner, 20+ years ago.

As for counter measures, I try to eat plenty of high
antioxidant foods, and take a few anti-oxidant supplements
like Vitamin E. I also drink tea, which is said to thin the blood.