From:
Gregg Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 08:48:40 -0400
Hi Group-- I'm new to this list.  I'm a college professor in Rhode Island.
I was a triathlete in the 80s and early 90s, but career and family changed
my lifestyle to being sedentary and spending my free time with my kids
instead of working out.  The toll was gaining 30 lbs of fat during the
mid-90s.  Over the past year or two, I experimented with my diet quite a
bit before hitting on the "paleolithic solution."  I put myself on Ray
Audette's Neanderthin program and modified my exercise program along the
lines suggested by Art De Vany (e.g., changing my steady-paced jogs into
"fartlek" runs incorporating bursts of speed; changing my 1-set high-reps
weight-lifting regimen to "pyramids"-- doing multipe sets involving
increasing weight and decreasing repititions).  The results were dramatic
and fast.  In a few months I lost the 30 lbs of lard that I had
accumulated during the mid-90s, and I feel great.

However, I have some concerns.  I have a tendency to have high blood
pressure; as such, I try to keep a favorable potassium/sodium ratio and
keep my calcium intake high too.  Cutting out dairy . . . where do I get
the calcium?  Canned sardines?  Broccoli and some greens have a little.
Right now, I'm taking a weak multivitamin/mineral pill (1 tablet supplies
well under RDA's for most vitamins-minerals) plus a calcium-magnesium
supplement.  Because I had read that the ratio of these 2 minerals during
paleolithic times was 1:1, that is the kind of tablet I'm taking (instead
of the traditional 2:1 cal/mag tablets).  Does this sound reasonable?

I'm having a hard time ignoring the research showing the negative impacts
of transfatty acids and saturated fat on cardiovascular health.
Eliminating the first, of course, is no problem on a Neandethin kind of
program.  But beef and pork are load with saturated fat.  Right now, I'm
eating fish (especially salmon and tuna), skinless chicken and turkey; and
limiting my red meat to ground venison (which is low in saturated fat
compared to beef); I also make my omlettes with only half the egg yolks--
again guided by my concerns about saturated fat.  Does this sound
reasonable?

Cheers!

Gregg