From:
P & L Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 19:23:42 -0800
> What bones are easily stored and contain good amounts of marrow?

Shanks

> How big is the liver, and into what thickness should I get it cut?

Don't know how big a whole one is.  (I can just imagine if a 115 lb.
lamb's is 3/4 - 1 lb., I'd bet a 1000 lb. steer's is darn big!)  If
you're eating it raw, it might be better left whole (so that the
nutrients affected by light and oxygen aren't exposed).  Sliced is more
convenient, though.  If you're cooking it, have it sliced real
thin--1/4" or thinner, if they can.  Slap it on a hot, greased griddle
for just a quick minute on either side, so it's still bleeding when you
stab it and rescue it from the heat.  Melts in your mouth that
way...Mmmm! (Just a personal preference.)

> >From a steer, do the sweetbreads include the thymus and pancreas?

Sweetbread = thymus. ("Unmentionable Quisine" explains why some butchers
sometimes refer to pancreas a sweetbreads, but really are not.  You
might want to specify it that if you want both.)

> Can all of the organs be frozen, and for how long?

I've kept them frozen for as long as 6 months.  Don't know about brains.
The one lamb guy I used to deal with said brains don't freeze well
(changes the consistancy or something to that affect that his chef
customers don't like) and only offered them to me if I happened to order
when he had them fresh.  But the beef guy and the pork guy say freezing
is fine (haven't gotten any yet, so I can't say if fresh or frozen is
better.)

Enjoy,
Lois