From:
Karl McKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 01:48:06 -0800
From the December 1997 issue of Ironman Magazine:

    I've long admired IRONMAN as a magazine that was concerned with the
truth and not just what might please suppliment manufacturers.  I not the
article by Judd Biasiotto, Ph.D., in which he advocates a diet low in carbs
and high in fat.  Many supliments are high in carbs, which are, of course,
cheap, so the products are more profitable.
    Biasiotto is definately on the right track, but he is a bit confused as
to the exact reason mixed diets make you fat.  The culpret is the carbs,
sure enough, but not for the reasons he gives.  The body cannot store the
fat you eat as fat.  All stored fat is the result of the adapose, or fat,
cells converting glucose into triglycerides.  Fat, no matter what kind,
saturated or unsaturated, must circulate until it's burned as fuel.  The
adiposecells have no way of introducing fat from the circulation into the
interior of the cell.  In fact, the cells relase fat by rupturing, forming
an opening in the cell membraine and discharging the fat droplet directly
into the system into the blood.  That means if you only eat fat -- and the
best fat to eat is saturated fat -- and you don't eat any carbs, you cannot
get fatter, even if your fat goes as high as 80%.
    I have many research articles that verify this, some from as far back as
1959 from Scientific American.
    I have eaten a zero-carb diet for 39 years.  I had a lot of trouble
staying lean when I was in my early 20's.  I wanted to be a ballet dancer,
but I couldn't keep my weight down on a mixed diet.  Then I read a book,
"Eat Fat and Grow Slim," by an English doctor named Richard Mackarness.
[KM's Note - not to be confused with the book "Eat Fat" by Richard Klein,
which is about changing perspectives more than body composition].  This
little book said that carbs were the problem, not fat, and referred to a
book by an Artic Explorer, Viljalmur Stefanson, titled "The Fat of the
Land" -- an earlier edition was "Not By Bread Alone."  Stefanson describes
his years in the Artic among the Eskimos, who never eat anything with
carbohydrates in it, and they live into their late 90's if they don't meet
some sort of disaster.  These people are never fat, have no heart disease or
high blood pressure, have no tooth decay and are very healthy.  This idea
appealed to me, since I never though of veggies as good food, especially
when I was a child, and I always wanted more meat.
    I am now 62, I began lifting weights at the age of 55, 7&1/2 years ago.
WHen I began, I was 5'6&3/4" and weighed 135 with 13-inch arms and 36-inch
chest, a 33 inch waist and 8% bodyfat.  I now weigh 155, with 15 inch arms,
a 42 inch chest, a 31&1/2-inch waist and 8 percent bodyfat.  I'm better
built then I've ever been, and can lift heaver weights then my 26-year-old
son.  I now eat about 50% fast and 50% protein.  I eat no carbs, with most
of my calories coming from beef, chicken, fish and lamb.  I use heavy cream
in my coffee, eat cheese and use butter and macadamia oil for cooking wish
and chicken, but I prefer beef fat for cooking beef.
    I've had 39 years of people saying, "You can't eat that way and be
healthy,"  "You have to have carbs you, can't burn fat alone," or "All that
fat will make you fat."  Ha!  I have a friend who is a bodybuiilding judge,
and he wants me to enter a contest, but I don't think there is anything to
prove.
    I always wondered whether anyone was aware of the real dietary reason
for bodyfat and was quite suprised at your embracing the high-fat diet.
    The reason there is so much anti meat, andti saturated fat,
pro-cerial/vegitable oil research around is die to the high level of funding
by the agricultural industry.  Cerial grains and oil seeds are extremely low
labor and therefor yeild vast profits for big agribusiness.  Raising animals
for meat is very labor intensive, and the only people who make much are the
retail butchers -- and they have little clout in funding research.  A bushed
of wheat brings five times the price for human consumption as it brings for
animal feed.  Figure it out for yourself.
    I live in a the bush in tropical Australia and have built my own gym, as
I don't want to drive to train.  I am a sculptor and have all the gear to
make about any peice of equipment that I might want.  You'd love the
dub-bell stands I designed after working out in hundreds of gyms while on
the road with the Grateful Dead, where I was selling my art.  On my Web site
I have an essey on diet and exercise you may be interested in:
http://www.crl.com/~zbear

---
(This letter was copied in it's entirety for perspective.  When quoting it
in replies, please trim out everything you can).