Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:38:46 -0800
> Just a note to the wise;   For those who want to eat
> Omega 3
> fish.   Wal-Mart had canned "Pink Salmon" on sale
> for fifty
> cents a can yesterday.  These Salmon are wild fish
> from
> Alaska.   Not pen raised,  they have all the
> vitamins and
> minerals  from cruising the Pacific Ocean

A couple years ago I spend part of a summer on the
Aleutian island Unalaska, where my friends and I
fished for Salmon almost every day (sometimes Halibut
too, but we only caught two - one 65 lbs., and one 172
lbs. We caught them on large hooks with white plastic
bags tied to them, and we were in a little aluminum
skiff with a small motor.  We were afraid to bring the
large fish into the boat straight from the water,
thinking it might do some damage to the flimsy boat
with its thrashing, so we dragged it to shore, hoping
the line wouldn't break, and hog-tied it there.  It
took all three of us to lift the Halibut into the
boat, they are very slimy and slippery!) - oh, but
anyway, we caught Salmon almost every day (summer is
the time when they come back for spawning), and would
eat fresh what we could and then freeze or smoke the
rest.  We caught them by snagging, which is how all
the Aleut kids were doing it, standing on shore about
100 ft. away from the stream mouth (you cannot go any
closer by law, I think. There were conservationists
there counting the salmon that were coming in.  There
is also a quota for how many each family is allowed to
catch), or hopping from rock-to rock a little ways
into the cove (being careful not to slip on algae), or
wading into the water a bit.  You see a fish jump and
you cast in that direction because that is where the
school is, and you reel the line in with jerking
motions.  And maybe 5-10% of the time you snag a fish.
 Of course this is all with fishing poles, and not
paleo, but OHHH the fish is so good.  We fished for
three kinds - reds first, then pinks, and then
silvers.  Apparently silvers are considered the best,
but I had to leave before the season really got
started. The pinks were good fresh, but didn't freeze
very well, and I didn't like them smoked.  The reds
were great smoked and fresh, and tasted fine after
freezing.  After cleaning the fish, we would throw the
remains outside and the bald eagles (considered pests
by the Unalaskans, they hang out at the dump and steal
small pets and there a ton of them everywhere) would
come and eat them.

I know this is kind of pointless and self-indulgent,
but I had such a great time, and the mention of
Alaskan salmon just made me want to share the
experience.

-lara