From:
Trish Leon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 04:02:08 +0000
Years (30) ago I began gaining weight around the time puberty began. Although I did not over eat, I followed the SAD, was active in sports in school, hiking, camping, skiing... When I was 15 I was diagnosed with an endocrine disorder and was insulin resistant. I was put on a low fat, high carb diet. Parents, as they are, felt that being vegetarian would help. However, the weight kept piling on, eventually my menstrual cycle stopped. When I was 21 I was given the catch-all diagnosis of poly cystic ovarian syndrome, and was encouraged to keep to my diet. As the years passed, I became sicker and sicker, weight kept rising, migraines started. Cortisol levels were high. I was on lots of medications. Long story short, I was not getting better, and developed type 2 diabetes. After much research, I decided that western medicine, while it has its place and can sometimes be beneficial, was as brainwashed as everyone else into believing high levels of carbs, fruits, breads and pastas, and low protein and fats, was the "answer to all health concerns".

In my case, it was hogwash. Any form of carb, including most fruits, all nuts, and many seeds, exasperated my health problems. My decision was made, and I began eating what is now called the paleo "diet". One of my doctors disowned me as a patient. Good ridance, I say.

I am now almost 42. For the past 12 years I have been following a mostly paleo eating style. I do give in to the rare chocolate cake urge (which I regret as the side effects are a million times worse than any hangover believable).

On this list, I appreciate the views of everyone who makes the effort to post. Sometimes someone irritates me, but that is what the delete button is for.

Too many times in life people are told to get out for thinking or having differing opinions. People threaten to leave if we are not all of one mind. However, we are not clones. We are individuals. Its nice hearing differing opinions on a subject we are all passionate about.

I don't see why anyone needs to be quiet for offering a view on the paleo woe. In my case, it has saved my life. BTW, I am no longer taking any meds for my conditions, including diabetes which has disappeared. I eat up to 3 pounds of meat on a very hungry day (lots of fats). My bad cholesterol is way down, triglicerides have gone amazingly way down, I had my first bone density scan and have no sign of deterioration. I am no longer amenhoreic (sp?).

My headaches have virtually disappeared ( the occasional hormonal migraine does strike).

I enjoy what everyone has to say on this subject.

Thanks!

Trish