From:
Secola/Nieft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 17:48:34 -0900
Paul Getty:
>Here's something else about Weston Price.  While Weston Price at least has
>the advantage of living many years ago without knowledge that we now have,
>the author of this has no excuse and is just ignorant!

Very much enjoyed your posts on Weston Price. None of which were very
damning IMO--in large part because you can hardly hold him responsible for
what extremists devise "in his name". (Using Price as a "reference" hardly
makes Price "guilty" of the extremists' views.)

The book speaks for itself in many ways and has no quackery to speak of.
None of the research was up to modern standards of course, but this was
decades ago. Unless someone could show me that the photos and/or stats
reported in that book were falsified, I would maintain my opinion that it
is a very interesting work, and probably Important. His findings are
supported in general by the bulk of modern anthropology findings.

BTW, malnourished people have few cavities, eh? Any support for that
notion? I guess it depends on whether one considers the missionary Brits of
the first half of the century (eating refined foods) well-nourished. The
bit about "he ignored their short life expectancy and high rates of infant
mortality, endemic diseases, and malnutrition" --I've seen little argument
that "primitives" were/are generally malnourished and lots that they are
much freer than modern folks of the "diseases of civilization" which would
probably include much of our cultures endemic dental troubles. The
relationship between infant mortality and life expectancy is obvious, and I
suspect that in the battle of disease, agricultural and industrial cultures
fare worse than hunter/gatherers.

Have you ever encountered the book personally? I would be very curious as
to your personal impressions...

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft