From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 06:11:41 -0400
On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:42:26 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>> As a look at paleo food sources shows, nutrient which is hardest to get
>> is food *energy*.
>
>I agree with this.

Yes, and this explains, that search for food energy is rather dominant
in our cravings about food. I mean, hunger is  triggered from caloric
deficits firsthand. Nowadays, as for the first time in all history food
energy is available *without* the usually assiciated protein and
micronutrients. Sugar, partial flour, alcohol.
And the loved fat extractions are in that category too.

>If Pauling is correct, for example, we are able to take advantage
>of large amounts of dietary lysine to keep arteries clear.  These
>levels of lysine are not available with RDA protein amounts.

There are quite a few substances that help to keep the arteries clear.
(w-3 fats beeing the most urgent and antioxidants second in my priority
list).
Lysin, you mention, arginin for NO, tryptophan for serotonin and niacin,
another for dopamin... more and more attention can be payed to single amino
acids.
The dietary input can be increased by simply increasing the total protein.
If below some limit, this certainly makes sense.
The limits (like RDA and the .357/kg of nitrogen balanc tests) assume a
certain amino acid profile in usage and supply anyway. .357 was of exactely
the amino acid composition synthesized by a couple of test persons (usually
students).
But sometimes it will not work - as with tryptophan and serotonin.
Or much caloric waste may be whished to avoid.

Regarding the protein compositions from source to source may be quite
an idea. E.g. wild game was much higher in tryptophan as beef.

And i just swallowed an arginine-almond :-)

BTW isn't lysine (for arteries you mentioned) the one so low in
cereals? Bad for cereal eaters. Good for eaters of leguminous plants.
Because these are exceptionally high in exactely the amino acid that is low
in cereals.

>Remember that 70kg is only an average body weight to begin with.
>My weight, at the moment, is just over 100kg.  My LBM is about
>84kg.  So even assuming a sedentary lifestyle (false, these
>days), I'd need a minimum of 84g/day of protein.

Well, the blood volume relates to the maximum amount-per-meal
not per day. So if you have 100kg instead of 70 that's about 50% more,
and 50% more blood is reasonable to think of. 10 liters. Or 11? ok.
Meanwhile i read, that total blood protein can range between 6.5 and 8.7 per
dl to be considered in a normal range.
That makes... 6.5*11= 71g minumum and 8.7*11= 96g maximum, with a range
of 25g in between.
This looks like your blood is capable of accepting maximal 125g lean meat.
In a meal, thats plus the amounts already being used while the one meal
digestion is still in progress.

I the light of the amounts you reported, it speaks for better having a
couple of meals per day.

>> I think, The total amount should be related to the 40g loss which is
>> measured for the whole normal body functions.
>> I can hardly imagine that workout may double the turnover rate.
>
>Why not?  You've given some very good reasons here.  It's well
>documented that exercise increases free radical load, ...
>... You may try the experiment yourself.  Start a program
>of high-intensity weight training three times a week, but keep
>your protein intake at about RDA level.  See how you feel after
>two or three weeks of this.

hm hm.. hard work - also workout- seems to increase protein throughput.
...free radicals... that's not exactely my goal.
It may give rise to quicker deterioration as well.

The training centers where i've been at were just too boring.
Presently i do everyday 5 minutes with 2 weights.
More to strenghten my shoulder joints, bones and muscular apparatus.
Just to remind them, that they are needed and wanted.
That's certainly not calorie burning.
But i experience that even a very short term load (not far from to the
maximum load) has some positive effect.
From by bone synthesis i recall, the story of osteoclasts/osteoplasts.
There are receptors in bones (and muscles), which report if they are used.
Controlling buildup / breakdown.

regards

Amadeus