Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 19:35:00 -0500
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 13:07:19 -0500, Aaron D. Wieland <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> >According to Udo Erasmus, there isn't a single documented case of vitamin
> >toxicity, with the possible exception of some artic explorers who became
ill
> >after eating a polar bear liver.
> >
> Altavista gives a bunch of information with +"vitamin a" +toxic*
>
> For example:
> >Since excess Vitamin A is stored, not excreted, continued long-term high
doses can have a toxic effect. Symptoms are similar to the
> >symptoms for deficiency and included swellings over long bones, dry and
itching skin, nausea and diarrhea, fragile or brittle bones,
> >fatigue or lethargy, bone and/or joint pain,
> restlessness, and loss of hair. Additionally, excess vitamin A causes
reproductive
> >problems including birth defects in the fetus and spontaneous abortion.
It is interesting to note that in humans, while high doses of
> >vitamin A are toxic, high doses of beta-carotene are not as toxic.
Amadeus, Aaron stated that, except for those eating polar bear liver,
there
isn't
a single documented case of vitamin A toxicity. You appeared to
contradict
and
gave examples of vitamin A toxicity symptoms, not of cases of
toxicity. Do
you
have examples of people (other than those eating polar bear liver)
having
vitamin
A toxicity from eating liver? (I am sure it's easy to OD on anything
if its
available
in pill form, that's why I am asking about toxicity cases from eating
liver
or
any other food, for that matter, with the exception of polar bear
liver).

> >In the United States for example, approximately 10 to 15 cases of vitamin
A toxic reactions reported annually involve doses greater
> >than 100,000IU per day. Chronic toxicity has been reported following
ingestion of 50,000IU daily for three months. Similarly,
> >continuous consumption of 25,000IU to 50,000IU per day for periods of
several months or more can produce multiple adverse
> >effects.
How much liver (regular, not polar bear) would have to be consumed to
equal
50,000IU daily for three
months?
USDA db gives 21000IU or so per 100gm. This means one would have to
consume
over 1/2 lb of liver
every day for months.
For 100,000IU you'd have to consume over a pound.

On a related topic - I remember that Atkins put some of his patients
on
rather large doses of
vitamin A for
prolonged periods of time without any ill effects. Can't find the book
(not
the diet one, but the
nutrients
book by him). If anyone has it, what were the amounts and for how
long?

Ilya