From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:42:21 -0600
Llewellyn Mary M Contr 61 CS/SCBN wrote:

> </lurk>
> Dear denizens of the Paleo-listic Age<g>:
> 1.  Is there any paleo precedent for the type of detoxification diet in
> which the dieter eats typically one food (usually a fruit or vegetable) or a
> limited range of foods for a short time?

Actually, I think this would be common among paleo peoples: when the
wild raspberries are ripe, they would eat their fill of them.  The unusual
pattern is what we have: everything is in season and available
year-round in the Perpetual Summer super market.  Of course the
Paleo raspberry gorgers would not be doing this to detox, lose weight, etc.,
but because it is a wonderful tasty abundant food source (for a couple of
weeks).

> 2.  Do you believe such diets do what they're supposed to do, namely
> facilitate the flushing of accumulated toxins from the body?  Do they have
> any dangers or lastingly harmful side-effects?

Getting off grains and onto LOTS of fruits/veggies will raise your potassium
level
relative to sodium.  This will have a diuretic effect (lots of flushing :-) ;
you're also
likely to have increased bowel movements due to the fiber.

> OBTW, if you want to know why I'm asking:  I'm a typical pudgy engineer,
> going on 40 years old, with a family history of arthritis, stomach trouble,
> and gallstones.  I figured a detox diet would be a good way to get
> jump-started on dealing with the excess weight and perhaps a first step in
> changing my diet to head off the other degenerative problems. (Cream teas,
> farewell!)

Welcome from a typical pudgy engineer, 57, with my own arthritis and
gallstones.  Was vegetarian and semi-vegetarian for a lotta years, doing myself
a lot of damage while my intention was to do myself good.  I used to bake
a mean scone myself!

My two pence:
Low-carb 7-21 days yes; grapefruit (for example) for 7-21 days, no.   Eat a
variety of in-season foods (good time of year for it!), simply prepared or raw,
with a reasonable amount of plainly fixed meat/poultry/fish.  I've had good luck

starting such a plan with a one-day water-only fast.  It resets my cravings.

Best wishes to you,
    Lynnet