From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:33:17 -0500
On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, S C wrote:

> In a message dated 2/4/2002 12:53:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> > Are you saying that long term low carb eating will permanently effect
> > insulin sensitivity negatively?
>
> My understanding is the reverse--that long term low carb eating has a very
> favorable effect on insulin sensitivity.  That's what it says in "The
> Schwartzbein Principle" (www.drhormone.com).

Although I have no studies on this, there are many anecdotes of
people who successfully lose weight on lowcarb diets but later,
for one reason or another, regain the weight.  When they attempt
to go "back on the wagon" the second time, their weight loss is
very slow and difficult, even though they are following the same
regimen that worked well before.  I don't know if this is a
result of increased insulin resistance or not (assuming it is a
real effect).  Note that Schwarzbein, like Cordain, thinks that
saturated fats must be controlled on lowcarb diet.  If too much
saturated fat can cause or aggravate insulin resistance, then
this must be kept in mind when doint lowcarb.  The question,
which Amadeus and I have discussed endlessly, is whether it is
really the SFAs, or absolute EFA shortage, that is the problem.

Todd Moody