From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 01:28:39 -0500
I subscribe to a weekly e-mail about the English language delivered from
http://www.quinion.com/words/

This is an extract from this week's bulletin

_____________________________
Nutrigenomics
Yet another term in "-genomics" for us to add to pharmacogenomics,
toxicogenomics, chemogenomics and even aromagenomics. Our current
obsession with genes is reflected in the growing list of words that
borrow the word "genomics", the study of the human genome, to make
fashionable but often unlovely neologisms.

This term refers to the study of our food and how it influences our
health through interactions with our personal genetic make-up. It
is suggested, in the hand-waving way of futurist commentators in
this field, that one day many of our ailments might be treated not
with drugs but with special diets. However, the complexity of the
factors influencing health - not merely diet and heredity, but also
economic and social conditions, culture and behaviour - are likely
to make it difficult to isolate the influences of food from all the
others.

Though it is often confused with "nutritional genomics", from which
the name seems to be derived, the latter speciality usually refers
instead to the genetic manipulation of plants so that they generate
valuable vitamins and minerals to improve diet.

"Nutrigenomics" researchers hope to do away with such blanket
generalizations and instead target diets to specific people.
                                               [Newsweek, Sep. 2002]

Nutrigenomics is the study of how different foods can interact with
particular genes to increase the risk of diseases such as type 2
diabetes, obesity, heart disease and some cancers.
                             [United Press International, Jan. 2003]

Keith