From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:27:15 -0500
Some interesting points, Geoffrey. I hope to have time to respond
soon, in more depth.

But for starters, I'm interested to investigate more on the issue of
nitrosamines, heterocyclic amines, oxidized cholesterol, and
polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. I consider the question of AGEs in
food to be a non-issue. AGEs created within the body are vitally
important, but I can't see them getting absorbed from food. Here's
Eades on that:

"I agree that there are vastly more AGEs in cooked foods, especially
meats. What I'm not so sure about is whether or not the AGEs we eat
end up as AGEs in us. The transit through the extreme acidity of the
stomach would, I imagine, reduce the AGEs to their components, which
we would absorb. The healthy human GI tract doesn't have the ability
to absorb large molecules. Even diglycerides (sugars composed of two
other sugars, sucrose, for example) must be broken down to
monoglycerides before being absorbed, so I seriously doubt that
complex molecules such as AGEs could be absorbed in there native
state. As a consequence, I'm not particularly worried about the AGEs I
eat - I much more worried about the AGEs I create within."

Since Eades has a voracious appetite for anything published,
peer-review or not, for or against low-carb nutrition, I assume no-one
has shown that dietary AGEs become circulatory AGEs. Are you aware of
anything on that?

The thing you mention about parasites is interesting. There is some
evidence that parasites can couteract some of the serious autoimmune
diseases. There is someone out there who will mail you a dose of
hookworm to infect yourself with if you have an autoimmune condition.

The study covered by CBS and ScienceDaily in your first two links is a
perfect example of the typical, useless mainstream nonsense.
Meaningless to people on this list. But I'll have to save my reasons
for that brash statement for later.

Hilary