From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:41:58 +0900
Here's a funny story for you, though it definitely was NOT funny for me
at the time. This evening at work I decided I was having a heart
attack! I have been having funny feelings and mild pain that fits the
description, and it got a lot worse suddenly, after I got home I told
my wife. She panicked, naturally, and called an ambulance. So they came
a few minutes later, hooked me up to O2 and all sorts of machines that
beep, and away we went. My first trip in an ambulance.

Got to the hospital, only 5 minutes away, and a hoard of young people
in green gowns surrounded me, hooked me up to more machines, poked me
full of needles, and began asking me questions. This went on for half
an hour or so, including a nitroglycerine spray under the tongue,
x-ray, etc.

Nothing showed anything unusual on the tests. Pulse slow and strong,
blood pressure good, x-ray showed nothing. So they sent me home, said
they had no idea what it might be, but definitely NOT a heart attack.
Thank God! Thought I was dying there for a while. They thought it might
be a strained muscle or bone in the chest, or something in the stomach.
One of the symptoms I have had for a while is severe gas pressure pains
in the stomach, relieved by burping, apparently related to the left
side chest pains somehow. Acid reflux?

Anyway, my wife is after me seriously now to change my diet. I will see
just what she has in mind. She already has mentioned less meat and more
veggies. That is OK, as long as she doesn't try to get me back into
bread and rice! I'll tell you, when I thought I was dying I was cursing
Atkins for getting me into this mess, as if two years on any diet is
enough to cause heart disease.