From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 23:20:30 -0500
On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Ken Stuart wrote:

> One possibility that occurred to me each time I read one of these anecdotes in
> the thread is that consuming too little fat prevents fat loss.   It seems that
> the body conserves fat when it perceives there is a scarcity.  Thus, you can
> actually stall weight loss by consuming too little fat.   (There are more
> technical details, but this is the gist.)
>
> So, it occurred to me that the "dairy" addition that triggered the weight loss,
> may simply have been a fat addition.

I'm not sure about Trish's case, but in the case of James this
hypothesis doesn't fit.  He was taking pains to stay in ketosis
before, so it's hardly likely that he wasn't getting enough fat.
So, whatever explains the weight loss resulting from adding
butter and cheese back in, I don't think it is a matter of
getting fat intake back up to adequate.

On the other hand, even though I speculated that it could be the
CLA in the dairy fat that is responsible, I have to wonder
whether the modest amounts of dairy that James and Trish reported
could make that much difference.  Maybe, or maybe other nutrients
are involved.

Todd Moody