Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:07:44 -0400
Ray Audette wrote:
> Neoteny would be the most likely explanation for this.  Neoteny ( the
> retention of juvenile traits into adulthood) is what separates wolves
> from dogs, grass from grains, and modern humans from earlier
> Hominids.  Neoteny is the most common form of mutation found in both
> plants and animals.  Neotenized modern humans are said to have Down's
> Syndrome.

  Small children have bigger heads in proportion to their bodies than
mature humans.

  That would make paleoman neotenic, while normal moderns are um, aaah,
er, (I usually write "degenerate" but it does not fit here)...
Help! need a word. How about "senile"? In the original meaning, of
course, not the modern one.

William