From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 05:05:28 -0500
On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:41:00 -0500, Esben Gr=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=F8nborg?= Brun
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I newer thought of sprouting nuts - interesting.
>Many people are allergic to nuts  - what about sprouted nuts?

If I was allergic against nuts (I am against hazel)
then I'd never get in any contact with any protein from that item
even not juice and also not sprouts.
They will have nut protein.

But maybe the allergy is against nut protective stuff (lectins).
Then sprouting might help.

Some people report here on the list from time to time of very good results
when avoiding grains altogether, strictly.
This looks like wheat allergy, maybe gluten allergy.

In this case I'd never again touch my allergen.

>If sprouts are healthy and taste so good,
>how come that this is not found in traditional cuisines ?
>(apart from soybean sprouts)

Traditional is soaking and germinatng, which is done more easily and
really found often.
For example pizza in *Italy* *originally* is made from a dough which has
to have rest overnight.
Germination time.
Only nowadays you can find pizza made with yeast dough.
Quick rising, quickly prepared and robbing minerals.

Sprouting takes longer -days- and reduces toxins more thoroughly.
It's only found with legumes (soy) - those with strong lectins.
In western cultures, where lentils are the main legume (after 4000bc)
sprouting isn't found.
Cooking is quick and easy, possible in winters and destroys the lentil
lectin reliably.

Nowadays the main advantage sprouting (vs.soaking) is, that it generates
a lot of really fresh green plants within a small environment.
In a small village (like in the old days) and even in bigger old cities
(like the old rome) people had good access to green items in the
near area. And they used a lot of it.
So they got the essential plant vitamins, minerals, antioxidatia from other
fresh plants. Sprouting not necessary.

This is my interpretation.

regards, Amadeus S.
(I've set up a whole grain basmati rice sprout test yesterday
we'll see how it works)