From:
Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:59:09 -0400
Hi Tom Bridgeland,

> I keep reading about how this or
> that animal or bug lives a lot longer if it is fed just enough calories
> to get by, along with plenty of nutrients.

Keep in mind that animals in these studies eat highly
processed chow diets, not fresh natural foods. Eating
paleo or raw paleo, results might change. Studies may
only show that eating less toxic food extends life.

Also, some new studies have shown that you get the same
benefits of calorie restriction by eating just one meal
a day, or fasting and bingeing on alternate days. This
works even if you eat the same amount of food overall.

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/aug23/liv4.asp
http://www.you.com.au/news/1706.htm
http://www.warriordiet.com/

> And I have read several
> times recently that low carb diets like Atkins work merely because
> people tend to eat fewer calories on those diets, either they feel full
> sooner, or just get bored with the monotony.

I think low-carb diets work because they eliminate allergic
or addictive foods (processed dairy, refined sugars/grains,
potatoes, beans, juices, and so forth). Elaine Gottschall's
"Breaking The Vicious Cycle", Julia Ross's "The Diet Cure",
and Elson Haas's "False Fat Diet" offer some support here.

You can lose weight on the same calorie intake by replacing
reactive foods (refined sugar, white flour, processed milk,
corn, soybeans) with non-reactive foods ("unheated" honey,
traditional sourdough bread, brown rice, potatoes, and raw
cow or goat milk). The calorie theory has many holes. What
we eat matters more than how much.

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/fat/chap2.htm
http://www.powerhealth.net/articles6.htm

> So, how would a low carb
> paleo diet work out? ... Meat, especially organs, is high density
> nutrition. Add in the fruits and greens etc, seems to me you get the
> natural equivalent of the high nutrient/low calorie diet that is
> supposed to add a third to lifespans.

Most calorie-restriction buffs believe in the low-fat lie.
I think that we need more meats, organ meats, bone marrow,
eggs, raw fermented dairy, coconut fat, avocado, nuts and
seeds. I don't believe in limiting carbs by avoiding fruit,
"unheated" honey, or other natural foods. I cycle between
low-carb (10-30 grams) and moderate-carb (100-150 grams).

Sincerely,
Bruce Kleisner