From:
A Gryphon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:40:32 -0500
Amadeus seems to believe:

>One of it (dog) doing well with carbohydrate fuel (though
>obviously a predator).

WRONG. Dogs do NOT use carbohydrates as fuel, they use fat. It's this kind
of thinking that has made a lot of money for a lot of people who think it's
a good idea to feed cereal company wastes to carnivores. And it has led to
exponential increases in the incidences of diabetes, obesity, cancer and
dental diseases in dogs in the last 40 years, the time when the North
American public really began to buy into all of the advertising and
especially the behind the scenes promotion done by pet food manufacturers.

The fact that you believe that an animal so obviously designed by nature to
be a carnivorous predator will do well on a carbohydrate-based diet tells me
a lot about how much you filter all of your information through your own
prejudices toward vegetarianism.

Well, I'm another one who has been there and done that and gotten nothing
but a pile of health problems for my trouble. I do believe that we need some
nutrients from plant foods, and that we are not meant to live on meat alone.
But my own body is all I need to tell me that eating meat is a Good Thing.
And my dog is doing a lot better since I eliminated all the grain from her
diet, too.

Irene