From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 13:48:36 MDT
Hello, listers.

Maybe I'm setting myself up for a fall, but I've thought of asking this
question before.  What went on between the sexes way back when?

The Great Maha Rushdi (aka Rush Limbaugh) just mentioned how women stayed at
home while men worked for "thousands of years."  But did they really?

We all know Rush (and members of the Far Reich) think that's "the way things
ought to be" (a Rush line).  But I've heard it argued that the nuclear
family - Maw, Paw, kids and no one else, thank you - is actually a new
concept, that families of old were extended families and that - sorry, Rush
- villages raised the children, not just the biological mother.  I have not,
however, heard much about the roles of men and women in prehistoric time.
Were they separate but equal?  Men dominant and women submissive?  Or all
just in it together?  If the families of yesteryear were, indeed, larger
organisms, it seems there would have been less restrictive guidelines on who
did what.  At the very least, there must've been a better sense of community
than we see today.  Or maybe I'm just dreaming.

Any insight on this?

Dori Zook
Denver, CO