From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 17:11:13 -0500
Geoffrey wrote:

>But, really , the whole fructose issue is a red herring as fructose
>is a vital component  of human semen:-

The fructose in semen is biosynthesized by a small number of very
specialized cells in the seminal vesicle, using circulatory glucose.
It goes right out of the body into another very specialized body
subsystem of the female. That would seem to me to have close to zero
relevance to questions about dietary fructose and its effect on the
liver. In fact, scientists don't have a strong theory about the role
of the fructose. It may nourish spermatozoa, but also greatly reduces
their motility. So it doesn't help with impregnation. The fructose
comes in after the sperm, and may form a sort of plug that would stop
some other guy's sperm from getting through. They just bliss out in
the sugar bath and don't go upstream. Maybe this is an evolutionary
leftover from chimp-like ancestors, who might have a sort of
free-for-all gang-bang after a female comes into estrus, but the first
male in gets to pass on his genes.

> If you honestly believe, contrary to established scientific opinion,
> that isolated, refined substances are exactly the same as the
> natural equivalent of that substance within foods, then I challenge
> you to do a diet consisting solely of artificial vitamins/minerals
> and amino-acids, in short processed equivalents of all the
> nutrients one needs for basic health. I'm sure your health would
> decline rapidly as a result.

On the contrary, a completely artificial diet can support health.
Something like KetoCal 4:1 from Nutricia is a super-ketogenic
completely artificial powdered diet that lets severely epileptic
children grow up somewhat normally without seizures. It is
ridiculously artificial, using soy protein isolate, fully hydrogenated
coconut oil, and a long list of synthetic vitamins and minerals, and
I'm sure one could make a completely natural version of it that might
work even better, but it will keep you alive and reasonably healthy.