From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:25:37 -0600

> In a message dated 4/23/2007 8:57:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> writes:
>
> A friend  says her thyroid is "dead". She did not have it removed but she
> believes  it is totally inactive. She takes medication, of course. Is
> this enough  info for an opinion on whether diet could help lower the
> medication, or  should I try to get more?

I think that a good diet would be necessary, but not mainly for the thyroid.
First, I assume your friend has had a complete history taken and a physical
examination. During a physical examination she probably had serum T4
(the main hormone produced by the thyroid), free T3 (the biologically active
thyroid hormone at the cellular level) and a thyroid stimulating hormone
(TSH) level done.

Due to the relationship between the thyroid & iodine, yr. friend may want to
have an iodine loading test done to see if her body is lacking iodine.  She
can read about the test & actually order one from information on this
website:
http://www.breastcancerchoices.org .   Yes, the website is about breast
cancer, but there appears to be a relationship between breast health &
iodine and it is a good place to read about the iodine loading test.

Hope this helps,
Kath