From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:06:44 +0000
On Feb 10, 2008, at 12:40 pm, Edwina B wrote:

> I've been eating paleo for three weeks and feeling great. I never
> ate much dairy before anyway and had a very high fruit and veg diet
> so most of the change has not been a problem. However, I do miss
> bread and things I can dip into dips that are not a vegetable such
> as rice crackers and crunchy things. My partner is non-paleo and
> unlikely to change and on Saturday mornings when he has yummy
> smelling toasted greek pide bread under his eggs and I don't I am
> sorely tested. I don't miss it most days but just occasionally it's
> hard.
>
> How did other people cope with longings for particular foods? Do
> they go away?

Edwina,

I found that the cravings went away after 1-2 weeks, and the
temptation to eat them went away after a month or two.  I still
believe that the more you want a non-paleo food, the more important it
is to avoid that one.  It might be an idea to keep some cooked meat,
hard boiled eggs etc handy until you have lost the cravings - if
you've had plenty to eat, you won't be tempted to fill up on bread.

The other thing is to realise that some physical types of food are
just not paleo.  "Dipping" foods that are crunchy and/or absorbent are
just not natural.  The closest you can get is mushrooms (for soaking
up fat/juices) and carrot/celery sticks (for dipping).

Most dips are highly un-paleo though, unless you make them yourself.

Ashley