From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 22:18:03 -0500
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 17:25:37 -0500, bruce sherrod
> So only humans grow fat? No, there are fat dogs.
>
> Eating the white flour seems to make the difference.
> And sugar, probably.
>
> Whithout this, I can't remember of any fat persons in history.
> In the middle ages for example they used *a lot* of grains bread etc.,
> but from whole grains.
> Who in the middle ages was fat? Richard Lionheart? Any peasant?
> Vikings? Germans? Celts? Egyptians?

King Henry the Eighth of England? Sir John Falstaff? Charles the Fat of
Germany (881 A.D.)? Louis the Fat of France (circa 1100)? Humbert II the
Fat of Savoy (circa 1100)? Friar Tuck of Robin Hood's men? I think there
may have been plenty of fat people in the Middle Ages, and before that.
Emperor Constantine? Other Romans? Venus of Willendorf? Yes, a few of
those may have been fictional or fictionalized characters, but that
still shows that fat people were part of the culture. I think it's easy
to get fat on whole grains. A whole grain food still causes an insulin
spike which makes you store away the fat, store blood sugar as fat, and
not release fat from fat cells for energy use. A triple whammy. But
anyway, making white flour is probably nothing new.