From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:43:48 -0800
Here's an interesting quote from Dr. Mercola's
newsletter:

"Cordain believes today's surviving hunter-gatherers
provide a fair guide to the ratio of plant-to-animal
food in the paleolithic diet: his surveys reveal that
these people eat up to 65 per cent of their calories
in animal food, and 35 per cent in plant food.

The present animal-plant ratio in the US diet is 38:62
- a near-reversal of the evolutionary pattern. Cordain
cites these macronutrient ratios, in calories:

Paleolithic: fat-22% protein-37% carbohydrate-41%
US today: fat-34% protein-15.5% carbohydrate-49%  "

What I found interesting is that the paleo ratios
Cordain quotes are actually not *too* far off of
Sear's recommendations. Paleo Zone.

Also interesting is Mercola's statement:

"While I do not believe in the evolutionary
perspective discussed above, I am firmly convinced
that the paleolithic dietary principles are clinically
valid."

What do you suppose *that* means? If he's willing to
ignore evolutionary aspects, then how can he accept
the findings? I find that statement very confusing....