From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:30:59 -0400
On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Ingrid Bauer wrote:

> >That is no doubt true, just as feedlot meats are considered by
> >many to be "far from paleo" for similar reasons.  In the
> >strictest sense of the word, the only foods that are paleo are
> >literally wild foods:wild game and undomesticated plant foods.
>
> before going to that extreme you have domestic foods grown organically and
> not transformed after harvest .

Of course.  You can draw the "paleo" line wherever you want, but
the line I've indicated above is the only non-arbitrary one.
Domesticated foods are modified foods.  How important are the
modifications?  There is so simple answer to that question.
Those organically grown fruits are still bred to have greater
sugar content than wild fruits, and they are still often shipped
great distances, after which they may sit for days on the
supermarket shelves.

> as long you get dependant on supermarket it will be like that forever

Sure, but plenty of people are dependent on supermarkets.  If
your point is that people would be better off avoiding them
altogether, I won't argue.  But the question that started all
this was whether cashews and peanuts are paleo.  I think the
answer is yes *with the same caveat that applies to just about
every other so-called "paleo" food* -- namely, that what you get
in the store may be very far from the "real thing."

> >For the rest, it's enough to know that
> >a food is the *type* of food that could be considered strictly
> >paleo, even though it has been altered in ways that probably
> >compromise its value.
>
> enough for what ? you know first hand the limitations of the NEanderthin 's
> form of paleo eating .what do  you expect to happen if you eat obese animals
> ? is it just a question of eating more fishes to balance .

I don't know.  Eating free-range meat has never made and
discernible difference to my situation.  By "enough" I guess I
was referring to the minimum standard of paleo that most people
on this list use.  I fully recognize that it is a *minimum*
standard.

Todd Moody