From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 05:26:39 -0500
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 21:07 Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry wrote:

>> Makes a big difference.  Don't forget - a Paleo eater
>> in the Paleolithic
>> wouldn't have known what an omega-6 was!
>
>that is a bit exagerated would you say that european paleo
>peoples will have never encountered a filbert ( hazelnut )?
>
>jean-claude

My apologies; I realize now that what i wrote was ambiguous.  I meant that
our scientific knowledge of nutrients and anti-nutrients was not
accessible to people in pre-scientific times.  That is, a hunter-gatherer
would not have known what omega-6 fats were.  They would have had to rely
on accumulated folk-knowledge, folk wisdom, myths, religion, cultural
rules etc. as well as practical availability and personal preferences to
make their food choices.

Keith