From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:34:18 -0600
Dear Erik Friden:

Please tell me why you called this statement "garbage indeed". It is
actually about 40% of people of European extraction who have either the HLA
DQ2 or the HLA DQ8 gene. Current science considers these two genetic markers
to predispose to celiac disease. Because only a tiny percentage of those who
have these markers will develop celiac disease, other factors are also
thought to be at work in those who do develop celiac disease. Scientists
have explored many environmental possibilities including exposure to certain
viral infections (adenovirus 12, for instance) along with additional genetic
factors and hormonal agents.  Strangely, many of those who develop
non-celiac gluten sensitivity do not have these markers so there is a clear
majority of the human population for whom grains are harmful or potentially
harmful.

I would welcome a detailed, articulate expression of your opinion so I can
begin to sway you on this issue, as it is very important to me that people
begin to understand that grains are a poor source of nutrition for humans.
Even ruminants can not tolerate excessive quantities of cereal grains in
their diets.

Sincerely,

Ron Hoggan, Ed. D.
co-author Dangerous Grains ISBN: 978158333-129-3 www.dangerousgrains.com
author Smarten Up! ISBN: 978-0-9736284-3-2 www.smartenup.info
editor: Scott-Free Newsletter www.celiac.com

"Objectivity is the prerogative of objects."