From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 16:48:54 GMT
Judy,
One option for you that you may not have considered is to see about
making
some changes around that school. Perhaps other parents don't realize
the
conditions in that Kindergarten class.

Unfortunately, I am afraid that this is typical of an American
classroom. I
was in Kindergarten 20 years ago and it was almost that bad then. We
were
only allowed to use the bathroom during certain times. We were forced
drink our milk. They didn't care if we puked it up all over the other
kids
(which I did), milk was good for us and we were GOING to drink it.
Even 20
years ago, there were the worksheets and the redundant, monotonous
"activities" and keeping "in line". "We are Borg. You will be
assimilated.
Resistance is futile."

Another option (in fact, my choice for my own children) is home
schooling.
Here are some resources for you:
http://www.unschooling.com Source for unschooing info, support.
http://www.home-ed-magazine.com Home Education Magazine. They have an
online
newsletter and will send you a free issue of their magazine at your
request.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Forest/2468/index.html Abaecadarian
Academy: Homeschool Preschool. Lots of good ideas here for activities.
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/1300/waldofaq.html What is
Waldorf
Education? Info here.
http://www.hammett.com This is where my mom works. They supply schools
with
basically everything. I can get some really good buys here on all
kinds of
things.
http://www.oakmeadow.com sells cirricula for preschool through grade
12.
Also online support.

Kudos to you for being there for your son, and trusting him enough to
go to
his school and see what the problem really is. That alone is more than
most
kids get from their moms.
Best wishes to you,
Stacie