From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:52:00 -0400

And Ray wrote:
> In spite of these deaths and those
> caused by hunters (licenced deer hunters just in Pennsylvania out-number
>all  the solders under arms in N.AT.O. and the Warsaw Pact combined) deer
> populations continue to soar.

Dori:
>Color me stupid, but wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to up the seasonal
>kill limit?  Gimme a break!

I'd say if all that hunters, more than all NATO and Warsaw Pact
soldiers together  can't
keep the number down, then it'd be no use to raise a kill limit.

I may suppose, that Lois is right, writing:
>This keeps an overbalance of does
> to bear more young to provide more "sportsmen" more
> opportunities to spend more of their money on more of their
> recreation providing us Pennsyvanians with more revenues!
> Propaganda only is what turns these creatures into
> murderous, crop-devouring, yard-destroying monsters.  So
> truly, at the root, if anyone is dangerous, it's the
> wildlife managers.

Same is found in German woods too. There are just too much animals
in the woods - crop-devouring and wood-destroying. And it's not that the
kill numbers are to low. They aren't reached. Because in an area very rich
populated with deer it's much easier to shoot much and big
animals without much effort and waiting.
Population is high for amusement reasons.
And deer population can only be so high , because they are so well
fed in winters. Fed with agricultiral power food. That's not wildlife,
it's deer husbandry in the woodlands.

This seems to be the same in other countries like the US too.
Holly Krahe cited recently:
>... A fatal "mad deer" disease called chronic wasting
> disease is occurring at epidemic levels in deer and elk in Western states
>and  on game farms, CFS legal director Joseph Mendelson wrote in the letter
>to the  Food and Drug Administration (FDA). ..

If "mad deer disease" is already visible, then that animals get fed on
the worst crap thinkable. In the wildlife.
I hope this is not what you call modern and efficient  caretaking
how we are learning to do it now.

Amadeus S.
(sorry if this sounds angry. sometimes I am)