From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:38:19 -0400
On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:20:07 -0400, Mark Labbee <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Animal studies, though,
>suggest potent antitumor activity of such soluble, mucilaginous fibers as
>ispaghula husk.

>A greater proportion of fiber-treated patients (29.3%) than control group
>patients (20.2%) developed at least one adenoma during the 3-year study..

>These findings, along with those from two American trials, suggest that
>"low-fat, high-fiber diet and supplementation with wheat-bran fiber or
>ispaghula husk may not be effective strategies for the prevention of
>colorectal adenoma recurrence," the authors conclude.

It looks like this tests just *added* sume pure fiber to a diet not
specified further, probably unchanged in other parts.

I've researched a little the protein digestion topic and found some
possible explanations for this.

Ok, protein is first-step-digested in the stomach not by the hcl, but
by
other enzymes which are just activated by the hcl.
Stomach breaks the large proteins into smaller parts (peptides)
Next steps take part in the small intestine, where the environment is
not
acid, but basic. This is protease stage, which breaks down only
smaller
protein parts (peptides) into even smaller peptides and amino acids.

Any proteins *not* digested are feeding decomposing bacteria which can
produce quite potent toxins. If these toxins rest in the colon for a
week
you can easily imagine the cause for trouble.

Fiber promotes bowel movements but that's not the whole story.
The key point must be the completeness of protein digestion,
particularly in the stomach.
A lot of things could hinder protein digestion in the stomach:
- adding liquid after a meal diluting the enzymes
- too much protein compared to available enzymes
- adding bases (disabling enzymes) or acids (shortening the resting
time)
- diluting or absorbing the enzymes by adding -mucilage- fiber (my
idea)

If the probants ate normal SAD diets (of course with >1/2 lbs of meat
per
day) and *added* some fiber then... the bad effects are explained.

Conclusion:
If eating high protein food (as meat/nuts/oil seeds) fiber or any
diluting
agency should *not* be added - in the same meal.
Or before it leaves the stomach.
For a fatty meal this may be quite long (5 hours), because fat
increases the
time in the stomach greatly (from 2 to 5 hours).
This explains how meat only meals are processed properly - the stomach
is
not disturbed digesting even big amounts of protein only (meat).

Fiber should be added at different meals to improve movement through
the gut
(I'd never add just fiber, but fiberous food items - paleo plants
are).

Annother attempt of a theory.

One thing i learned at least.
Food combination (into one stomach) is of importance.

Nice text at
http://gened.emc.maricopa.edu/bio/bio181/BIOBK/BioBookDIGEST.html
with pictures.

regards