From:
Alec Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:03:26 -0800
To test you theory that you replaced fat with muscle, go find that pair of pants that was just a little too tight in the waist 3 weeks ago. Any improvement there?

I've just finished reading Gary Taubes' latest book, "Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It."  His theory that you can eat as much as you want and not give any consideration for calories as long as you keep carbs below 50 grams a day doesn't work for me.

Low carb does give a slight metabolic advantage, but Dr. Michael Eades estimates it as about 300 calories a day.

If you eat too much protein it will be converted into glucose by the body in a process known as  gluconeogenesis.  You also may be getting more carbs that you think if you don't keep track.

You may want to use Fitday.com to track you fat, protein, carbs and calories. Do it everyday for a week to give you a basic idea of where you are.  Then when you get comfortable knowing how much you consume use it a couple of times a week.

Basically calculate your lean body mass.  Get about 1 gram of protein per day per pound of lean body mass.  Getting more than about 1.2 grams per pound of lean body mass doesn't seem to be beneficial. Don't get less than about 0.8 grams per pound of lean body mass.  Get about 50 to 100 grams of carbs a day.  Make up the remaining daily calorie requirements with fat. However, to lose weight you will still need a calorie deficit