From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:59:41 -0500
Aria Nadii wrote:

> What about the occurrence of leucocytosis when eating cooked food as
> opposed to eating the same food in it's raw state? I have read about this
> in many books which make a case for a raw food diet.
>
> Does this also have no scientific basis at all?

That's right, no scientific basis, as far as I know. It's not in "many"
books, it all comes from Kouchakoff from the 1930's. That was a long
time ago. It was not well controlled and has never been repeated since.
Besides, Kouchakoff himself didn't say you had to eat a raw diet. The
leucocytosis effect that he claims to have seen would disappear (he
said) if ten percent of the food was raw. So a rare steak was fine, or a
fried egg in which part of the yolk was still runny.

Hilary McClure
Danville, Vermont