From:
Louise Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 16:23:20 -0500
>Anything above 500 mg. a day will rip my gut apart and contribute to the
>diahhrea side of my IBS.  It is extremely painful from the time it hits my
>stomach on down.
>Judith

Judith, and other Paleo folk,

Unless the C is buffered, it can indeed cause diahrea and intestinal
distress. It acts like a salt and pulls moisture though the intestines
causing  diarrhea. If you take buffered C (as in Ester C) you will
most
likely not have this reaction.  I take around 3 grams a day of
buffered C a
day and I am an EX- IBS sufferer. It is usually the best defense
against
the onset of a bacterial or viral onslaught.
I have not knocked out many a germ with it.

Unfortunately, I can't possibly get enough C with fruit because of
hypoglycemia (fruit brings on carbo lust)

Louise