From:
Dhyan Anima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 20:32:21 EST
There are alot of references to depression in diet books which reduce the
amount of refined carbs. i.e. Atkins, Zone, Protein Power etc.    The
serotonin/carb craving connection has been around for a long time, and with
eating disorders of all types now the first line of treatment is an SSRI
(selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor like Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa etc.
etc.).

I have suffered from long term clinical depression intermittently, and have
been on the old and new antidepressants.  I also have fibromyalgia/CFS and
suffer from obesity.

Over the past two decades I have been like a madwoman on a search for what is
"wrong" with me...because clearly something is.  I always went on
hypoglycemia diets, but never felt better.  Of course I had tried everything
else in the meantime!  For me, going paleo has addressed my depression in
ways that nothing else has.  (I had to go off off the SSRI's because I get
severe hives from them, even though they worked like a charm).  I was
unwilling to go back on the old tri-cyclic antidepressants because they
guarantee a 50 pound weight gain for me.  So I have been treating myself with
daily sunlight (for several years) which helped some, but had no significant
improvement until I let go of ALL starches.  I had eliminated
gluten-containing grains once, but I have never been off of all grains and
potatoes.  I am MUCH better.  It is not a miracle cure and I still struggle
with some sleep disturbance and dysphoria.   But it is manageable.

Also, I was a vegetarian for years (horribly complicating my condition!!) so
it has been a shift for me to eat alot of  meat...and I order mine from free
range sources where the animals are reared in humane conditions...this is
important for me.  I have no trouble eating wild game (hard to come by as I
don't hunt!!!)...I figure we all have to die...I DO have a problem with
making creatures live in pain!

Anyhow....just wanted to report that, for me, there is a tremendous
connection between depression and diet.  It is not the WHOLE thing, but it is
significant.  The potatoes not prozac book explains the uploading that goes
on with the carbohydrate priming and is interesting theoretically.  I am a
psychotherapist by trade and deal regularly with depression in my practice
and always include eating habits as part of the evaluation for depression/tx.

Best wishes,

Anima