From:
Louise Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:51:25 -0500
>... lectins are in lots of (almost all?) foods including vegetables and
>fruit.
>
>Nuts give me horrible problems.  I love them and sometimes eat them,
>thinking, what the heck, they are paleo.    I used to get zits when I ate
>lots of nuts.  Not just zits, like horrible breakouts on my neck and chest
>where I never had before.  At first I thought it was an allergic reaction.
>All tests for all allergies come back negative.
>

>>Edible nuts have lectins too, but there is no data
>>available that those partiucular lectins affect us, although I would like
>>see more data. Like many things, if they don't cause problems, you won't
>see
>>much research on them.
>
>>Ben Balzer

Ah, but there is.... Peter D'Adamo's book (Eat Right 4Your Blood Type)
is
mostly based on lectin reaction to various blood types. The science
behnd
lectin theory is quite well researched and provable. In fact, if you
put
wheat germ in a drop of type O blood, it will agglutinate (clump)
right
before your eyes - no microscope needed. In fact, it used to be the
standard way to test for blood type O. Granted, wheat is not good food
for
anyone, regardless of blood type, but some lectin reactions are more
pronounced than others. I don't agree with all his assertions, but he
did
go to quite a lot of trouble testing lectin reactions of an extensive
arrray of foods to look for lectin reactions in the different blood
types.
It is a good resource. The detective work as an individual can be
shortcutted quite a lot keeping his guidelines in mind.

Louise