From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 08:47:16 -0500
Toby Martin wrote:

> Todd Moody wrote:
> > Note: I don't think I'm going to be able to last very long on
> > this modified Type A/NeanderThin regimen.  I am already having
> > sharp cravings for red meat, and I haven't experienced *any* real
> > cravings of any sort since starting low-carb dieting.
>
> I find this very interesting! I think I have heard militant
> vegans claiming that meat is addictive, but naturally I didn't
> take it all that seriously.
>
> Can anyone hypothesize what would be in the meat that would
> result in cravings if withdrawn? And I hope you don't just
> say "adequate protein and fat", because surely these can
> be obtained from fish, fowl, nuts, oil, etc.
>
> Toby
The craving could very well be a signal that his body is needing heme
iron and/or the enzymes necessary to process it. Your alternative list
of "fat and protein" sources do not compare nutritionally in this
respect. Perhaps the addition of one or two large red meat servings a
week might solve the problem.

Troy Gilchrist
NEANDERTHIN
<http://www.sofdesign.com/neander>